“General dentistry” may sound, well, pretty general. But the truth is that a general dentist is the person who provides a majority of the dental care that you and your family will ever need. And at Mark Williamson Dentistry, we understand exactly how important our services are to our patients from throughout the San Antonio, Texas area. Dr. Williamson and our trained staff of dental professionals are pleased to provide our patients with everything from routine exams and cleanings to more complicated restorative and cosmetic services. Here’s our “at-a-glance” guide to everything you need to know about general dentistry.
General Dentistry Services
Preventive services include exactly what the name implies: a variety of procedures intended to achieve and maintain healthy teeth and gums. These include the following:
- Routine cleanings and exams – Visit our office every three to six months for oral exams and professional cleanings. Although we call these “routine,” the fact is that regular trips for exams and cleanings are an essential part of good oral health. Let our experienced hygienists provide you with expert advice on how to get the most from your daily oral hygiene routine.
- X-rays – Part of your routine exam and cleaning visit may include X-rays. Although usually not required as a part of each exam, X-rays are crucial in allowing Dr. Williamson to see any tooth decay or other issue that might not be obvious during a visual exam. We are pleased to offer our patients digital X-rays, which expose the individual to much less radiation than traditional X-rays.
- Oral cancer screenings – Another part of some routine oral exams will be an oral cancer screening conducted by Dr. Williamson. Fortunately, oral cancer is often a very treatable condition, but only if it’s caught in the early stages. That’s why regular oral cancer screenings are so important.
- Fluoride treatments – Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that helps to prevent tooth decay and strengthen dental enamel. Regular fluoride treatments can help to prevent cavities before they ever have a chance to form.
- Dental sealants – Dr. Williamson may recommend dental sealants for some patients. Sealants are an effective way to protect premolars and molars from plaque and tartar buildup.
- Tooth extractions – Thanks to modern dental technology, having a tooth pulled is usually simple and quick.
- Root canals – While it’s true that not every “general dentist” offers root canals, Dr. Williamson does. These procedures are often the only way to save a tooth that would otherwise be lost.
- Periodontal care – You gums are (quite literally) the foundation for your good oral health. That’s why we’re pleased to offer a variety of periodontal care services to help our patients avoid gum disease and to effectively treat the problem in people what have already developed the condition.
- Snoring treatment – Loud snoring can disrupt your sleep and the sleep of people you live with as well! We provide custom-made mouthguards that can eliminate your snoring issues.
- TMJ treatment – TMJ disorder causes pain in the jaw, headaches, interrupted sleep and many other issues. Dr. Williamson offers a variety of TMJ treatment methods to alleviate these symptoms.
- Dentures – Today’s dentures are more durable and comfortable than ever before. Whether you’re missing just a few teeth, or all your teeth, we can fit you with dentures that can instantly improve your quality of life.
Contact Us Today
General dentistry services are essential in ensuring that you and your family enjoy a lifetime of good oral health. To find out more about our services, and to schedule an appointment with Dr. Williamson, contact our San Antonio, Texas office today.